Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Afghan camp

My parents bought this carpet 25 years ago, in an Afghan refugee camp outside Peshawar. It only recently came into our home. I suppose it was also made in the Peshawar camp environment, unless it was brought from Afghanistan of course... Later Afghans I have seen also have imagery from the war, with recognizable helicopters and anti-aircraft weapons - a quirky development of the art...

This piece has the typical colouring and octagonal "elephant feet"-pattern. For me, this is probably the archetypical CARPET, even if I am learning to appreciate more tribal designs. I have yet to acquire the taste for finer pieces, like Nains, though - but maybe that is just as well! ;-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ohh I love that carpet too, but I know you do more. Hope you got it cleaned properly :) Puss o kram/emelie