Friday, December 01, 2006

Cave city

These are one of Kapadokya's underground cities, whose earliest history reportedly dates to the Hittites. In later ages they are supposed to have been used by local Christian communities in times of war and need. These may have taken place both during Roman persecution during the early Empire and later due to Muslim raiders to Anatolia. Whether they have been continuously known and used is obscure to me, though. They are dug out in porous stone and could be easily expanded - this one was 7-8 floors deep. I couldn't take a picture up the airshaft, unfortunately - the dark and the angle made it too great a challenge, but craning your head into it and looking up from the lowest level was breathtaking! I am slightly claustrophobic though and think one visit down is quite enough for me, but it was a real experience!



1 comment:

An-Lu said...

The photos are rather "shaken" but were enough for me to develop fear of closed spaces!