Friday, September 07, 2007

Cyprus and the EU

The relationship between north Cyprus and the EU is a complicated one and infects also EU-Turkey relations, as you well know. I won't go into detail here, but to sort it out more, I recommend reading a recent ICG-report on the situation.

But we did see a few instances of EU money going into preserving cultural heritage sites in the area - the top picture is from Nicosia and the 2 lower ones from Famagusta (ironically, the lighting system for the Venetian palace that the lower sign declares didn't seem to work...). I was happy to see that, as I was very saddened by my own feeling of isolation from the splendid cultural and historical sights there - which I beforehand really didn't know about and enjoyed immensely during the visit. They are also to my opinion a truly European heritage for all of us to share.



No comments: