Friday, September 05, 2008

Vacation reading backlog...

Just as I suspected would happen, I have blogged less during my vacation. But I have collected links to share, I don't have access to my own computer and my photos right now though, unfortunately, and that might take a week or two.

A lot of these links are almost a month old - I'll still try to collect them thematically somehow...

An interesting early aspect of the conflict in the Caucasus came here, in the allegations that an attack on the BTC pipeline on Turkish territory came from the PKK. Ankara has previously been keen to point to the PKK as a perpetrator, but not so this time....

Svenska Dagbladets Jan Blomgren has written a series of analyses on the Gergian-Russian was - this one on Russia as a loser, and one on awakening the Russian bear.

Reporters without borders also has several news flashes on the war in the Caucasus.

Expressen here writes on the fate of truth in the war. Also in Expressen, Svante Cornell suggests excluding Russia from the Council of Europe.

BBC here highlights the human cost of the conflict and shows photos of Tskhinvali in ruins.

Negra Efendic of Svenska Dagbladet writes about returning to her Bosnian village.

BBC reports on Palestinian doubts for a 2-state solution.

Al Jazeera reports on media censorship in Egypt. BBC talks about difficulties for young Egyptians to get married.

The degree of appreciation for deceased Egyptian film director Yousef Chahine is discussed by the BBC.

BBC reports the Jordanian king Abdallah's visit to Iraq, the first by an Arab head of state in Iraq since the fall of Saddam Hussein (but Turkey's prime minister & Iran's president have visited).

Svenska Dagbladet here writes on the multi-religious choir performance Vox Pacis in Stockholm in August.

Arabic-professor Kerstrin Eksell writes in Svenska Dagbladet about the deceased Palestinian poet Mahmoud Darwish. BBC shows his farewell here.

A debate also took place on honour issues, focussing on public financing for medical operations supporting honour structures.

I have more still, but they will come - I'll publish little by little I think...

No comments: