Friday, October 09, 2009

Nobel prize laureates

I am not sure I completely understand the motivation for awarding the peace prize to Barack Obama - however much I appreciate his style and effort so far. If I were on the award committe I would probably argue for not risking devalueing the prize by more or less giving it for hoped-for future results and not past achievements. But maybe this only reveals me as the boring risk-aversive bureaucrat I truly am?

Yesterday the literature prize winner was announced, and I really liked the motivation read out there, without ever having read Hertha Müller.

Forehand speculations included the laureate, but also other favourites of mine - Amos Oz, Adonis perhaps the foremost.

Permanent secretary Peter Englund interviewed ahead of the announcement. I heard a nice interview with him afterward, describing the surrealist experience of coming through the door too.

Among the science prize winners I seem to notice an unusually high ratio of women, which I like!

Update - Swedish voices: Swedish Committe for Afghanistan and the Swedish peace lobby.

Obama's reaction and Arab comments.

No comments: