Saturday, May 13, 2006

My carpet-gallery

Well, I have introduced carpets as an interest in my profile, so I guess I might start backing that claim...! We are by now the happy owners of 5 so-called Oriental carpets, but I only have photos of 2 so far (you will see them all sooner or later). One is a Bokhara bought in Teheran a few years ago (my first buy actually), one a bokhara-style from an Afghan refugee camp in Peshawar (my parents bought that one) and one a silky pastel-coloured woven piece from Van (to be seen below).



Our latest buys were a Luri (opened) camel-bag and a small Usak cicim - which was a gift for my husband when he immediately fell in love with it a convenient few weeks before his birthday.

Oh, I forgot the very colourful kilim, that was a gift. And a small Kurdish goathair - woven, woolly! (Does this start to qualify as a collection?)

I am beginning to develop a liking for kilims and more tribal-style patterns. I like the knowledge that something was made not for aestetiques or what would sell well, but for real-life usage. I do NOT like pictorials, too fancy pieces or very many colours or patterns all in one piece.

Bokharas and Bachtiaris are by far my favourites so far... and I think I will next be on the lookout for a Bachtiari camel-bag. I have also found I like the smaller pieces like salt bags, that have more decorative purposes today, but were very hands-on originally. But I will only buy a carpet I love!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice colors. Keep up the good work. thnx!
»