Monday, May 08, 2006

My favourite hummus-recipe

I have to share it with you - I just made some and my tongue is curling from the tasting experience!

Take 2-3 deciliters of dry chickpeas and soak in at least double the amount of water. Let soak for at least 12 hours, but if you have patience to wait longer, anything upwards 30 hours goes. But change the water one or twice.

Boil the chickpeas soft, which also takes 1-2 hours. Add a carrot, an onion, a stock cube and 2-3 bay leaves during the boil (but take them out afterwards, the purpose of these is only to enhance the taste of the chickpeas - they don't belong in your hummus afterwards). Let it cool a bit and remove the vegetables.

If you can't be bothered with the planning this takes, use the preboiled tinned chickpeas, but run them under some water first.

Put the chickpeas in your food processor (the big knife in the bottom of the bowl) and run them until crushed. Add salt (flaky if you have) and pepper, cut 2-3 pices of garlic and add them, and the juice of 1-2 lemons. Go on blending. Taste your way through it until you find the right combination - I don't recommend adding only garlic if you find it bland, adding more lemon juice and pepper will do very nicely too (without the unpleasant odours). Add olive oil while running the food processor off and on until you get the right smooth mixture.

Enjoy...!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi darling!
I think you forgot to add tahini (sesame cream). No humus recipe can be complete without tahini!
kisz

Sniff said...

Nooooo, actually not! THIS hummus, is PERFECT without the tahine... Which is the reason that it is my favorite - I can make it and it tastes fantastic, even if I forget to buy tahine. Brilliant, right!?

An-Lu said...

sure! ;-)