Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Random reading recommendations...

Turkey is still very much in focus, now due to the election of Abdullah Gül as president. This Svenska Dagbladet-essay discusses the intellectual roots of the Islamic movement and his highly recommended!

Another interesting global feature is informal money transfers.

Celebrating the 800th aniversary of the birth of Rumi is a widespread occurence taking place this year. There are new translations to Swedish I believe (or was it Hafez?) - if I find a review I will post it for you.

The Stockholm Museum of Ancient Near Eastern art has an interesting autumn programme which I would attend if I were to spend the rest of the year in Stockholm!

Thanks to Carpetblogger we can take a look at the dig in Istanbul for the new subway under the Bosphorus!


A look at partying in Tel Aviv, in the shadow of regional unrest...

No comments: